Prospective International Students

  Nicole Park, Korea - 2nd year Illustration

Emily Carr University is a multicultural artistic community where you can really feel at home. Its location is in one of the most beautiful and artsy places in Vancouver, Granville Island. A warm and supportive International Student Services will help you easily adjust to your life in Vancouver.
- Nicole


Emily Carr University of Art + Design provides an intimate learning environment with a diverse faculty and student body. Annual Orientation Event - Vancouver Sightseeing TourWe foster that diversity by welcoming international students from around the globe. Each year, Emily Carr attracts outstanding international students from over 50 countries. This group now makes up over 18% of our student body.



Why choose Emily Carr?

 High quality of education

The Emily Carr University of Art + Design is one of Canada’s premier post-secondary universities specializing in undergraduate and graduate visual art, media arts and design education.

Canadian universities are noted for offering the highest quality of education. A Canadian degree is recognized globally as being equivalent to degrees from the United States and Commonwealth countries, while Canada’s lower tuition… create(s) exceptional value.
-       Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC)

High quality of life

Vancouver, located on Canada’s Pacific west coast, is one of the most beautiful cities in North America. Surrounded by water, parks and the coastal mountains, the city provides a stunning natural environment and is recognized as one of the world’s most liveable cities.

 According to the World Bank, Canadian cities rank among the best places in the world to live, work and study. Besides outstanding quality of life, Canada offers a stable, progressive political environment and one of the healthiest economies in the world. From safe neighbourhoods in some of North America’s most cosmopolitan cities to top-notch health care and public transportation, excellence permeates every aspect of Canadian life — including a world-class higher education system.
-        AUCC


Choosing to study in another country is a big decision. For information on Vancouver and relocating to the city, explore and

What about immigration?

Until you receive an acceptance letter from Emily Carr, you can prepare the other documents required for your Study Permit application. You will need to have a valid passport (ideally one that is valid for the length of your studies) and proof of financial support.

An international student living and studying in Canada must possess a valid Study Permit. Application for a Study Permit and an entry Visa (where required) must be made at a Canadian Embassy or Consulate before your arrival. An online application is also available for some countries. Please note, it is important to apply early for your Study Permit and Visa as it can be a lengthy process. For more information on Study Permits and to find out whether you require a Visa to enter Canada, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at

Can I work while I’m a student?

As of June 1, 2014, students who have a valid Study Permit and are enrolled in full-time studies at Emily Carr qualify to work on or off campus without the need for a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week:

  • during regular academic sessions and
  • full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

For more information see

Am I eligible for scholarships?

Emily Carr seeks to attract the best-qualified applicants and to recognize, with entrance scholarships and awards, those presenting high academic achievement and artistic potential. The University gives several international entrance scholarships and awards, ranging from $2000 to $5000 Canadian dollars for study at any level. You do not need to apply for entrance scholarships and awards; the University selects recipients based on academic and artistic merit (not on financial need).

Emily Carr also awards scholarships to students continuing at 2nd, 3rd and 4th. International students are eligible, so you will be able to apply for these annual awards during each year of your studies. For more information visit our Financial Assistance page.

What does it cost?

Tuition and the cost of living in Canada can be lower than in countries such as Australia, England and the United States.
-        AUCC

- 2014/2015 Tuition Fees

What will my studies be like?

Student life

In addition to the services we offer, the Student Life office organizes events for Intercultural Week in November of each year, as well as monthly events such as academic success workshops, bingo games, art gallery hops, etc. Once a year, a group of Canadian and International students attend a Vancouver Giants hockey game (this is one of our most popular events). Check out our TUMBLR page to see photos of past events.

As a student, you can also participate in student-run art exhibitions on campus, the monthly Open Mic Coffee Nights organized by our Foundation department or join the Students’ Union activities and clubs.  

Student exchange program

Emily Carr has a very active Student Exchange Program with 67 partner institutions in 20 countries. These partnerships give our students the opportunity to access other top art and design schools across North America and around the world. The presence of visiting exchange students also adds to the diversity of our international student body. Read more about our Student Exchange Program.

Where will I live?

While the University does not offer on-campus housing, we can assist you in finding housing in a number of ways. Our Housing website provides you with a searchable database of current housing listings in nearby neighbourhoods, a description of the areas of Vancouver, tips for planning your search, advice for renters, and a list of temporary places you can stay when you first arrive.

All sections of the website are viewable by the public, except for the listings database. For this section, you must be able to log on (when you are admitted you will be given a username and password for email that can also be used to access the database). Check out the Emily Carr Housing site.

What are my career prospects after graduation?

There are a number of ways to gain valuable work experience while you are in Canada.

The University also offers a Cooperative Education Program for work experience directly related to the fields of media arts, visual arts and design. Students can enhance their education and their professional development, while receiving up to 9 credits toward their Emily Carr degree. The Career and Co-op Office assists registered Emily Carr students with obtaining employment and work permits for this program. For more information visit the Career and Coop page. 

Besides working off-campus during your studies, once you graduate you can also apply for a three year Post-Graduate Work Permit. Gaining work experience in Canada can eventually help you apply for Permanent Resident status under the Canadian Experience class.

How can I apply to study at Emily Carr?

Applications are welcomed each year as early as mid-September and up until mid-January. For information on how to apply:

- Visit the Admissions page

- Visit the portfolio requirements page 

- Visit the faculty and programs page 

Get involved!

- International Students at Emily Carr Facebook page

- Student Life at Emily Carr

- Emily Carr Recruit Blog


More Information

We hope you will find answers here to many of the questions you may have as an international student. You can also visit our International Student Services page. If there is anything else you need to know to help you decide to choose Emily Carr for your future, be sure to let us know.

Phone: (+1) 604.844.3897