Resources | Facility + Community Access

Facilities + Community Access

The Facilities Office at Emily Carr University manages all of the University's campus spaces on a day-to-day basis.

The following information pertains to typical facilities requests. If you have further requirements or questions, please contact the Facilities Office:

Maintenance + Service Requests

For all maintenance and service requests please call or email the Johnson Controls (JCI) Help Desk:

Examples include electrical issues or outages, malfunctioning elevators, room temperature issues, lighting issues, personal safety concerns, odours, plumbing issues, slipping hazards, vandalism, broken glass, garbage and recycling requests, cleaning requests, or pest control issues.

If an item is of an urgent nature, please indicate that it is urgent during your call, or include this information in the subject line of the email. Urgent items include situations that pose a threat to health and safety. As an example, a burned out light is not an urgent issue, but a chemical spill would be.

Issues related to furniture, equipment, office changes, or new capital requests should continue to be directed to the Facilities office at

Student Installation Approvals

All student art installations in the University must be approved by Facilties or they will be removed immediately. Facilities tries to work with all students to provide solutions for installations that are safe and accessible. Please drop by to pick up an Application to Install form, and if you have any questions or concerns about your installation, the Facilities staff will help you work out some options for installation.


Parking passes can be purchased from Finance and picked up in the Facilities office with a valid receipt. Paid parking is available by semester or by the day. More details can be obtained from the Facilities office.


Room Bookings

  • Student Room Bookings: Facilities only books rooms for students for curriculum-based use. If you wish to use a room for a club, please contact the Student Union to sign up your club and they will make your room bookings for you.
  • Faculty and Staff Room Bookings: Facilities can book rooms for meetings, critiques, exams and other curriculum-based requirements. For non-affiliated events, please see Facility Rentals.

Facility Rentals for Public (External) Use

A large lecture theatre, a mid-size lecture hall and a large boardroom are available to the public for rental on a very limited basis. Due to our academic term programming needs, rooms can only be booked for use during the current term and generally cannot be booked very far in advance. Rentals are subject to availability and various terms and conditions. For room rental inquiries please contact Events at 604.844.3085 or

Card Access

If your card doesn't work, please email with the following information:

  • your name
  • student / staff number
  • the areas/rooms where your card won't work

Students: You must be enrolled in a class to receive access to an area. Waitlisted students must wait until they are enrolled in a class to gain card access to an area. If you lose your card, please notify Student Commons to get a replacement card.

Faculty: Your card will provide you general access around campus and into areas you are specifically teaching. For Sessional Faculty, access is provided two weeks prior to the start of a semester to allow for prep work, photocopying etc. and a week after the semester ends.

Staff: Your card will provide you general access around campus and into areas you are specifically working in.

Do not lend your card to anyone or provide access to a restricted area to someone without an access card. Please notify Facilities or Security immediately if you lose your card.



Keys for faculty and staff are issued from the Facilities Office. Please report any lost keys immediately to the following groups:

  • Facilities Office, room D2351, tel: 604.844.3800, local 2868 - during business hours; or
  • Security, 604.844.3800, local 2899 - during evenings and weekends. 


Posters and Community Events Notices

Emily Carr employees and students actively engage in the local arts and cultural community. Notices about arts and culture events are accepted for display at our Information Desk during regular business hours (8:30 am - 4:30 pm, weekdays), attention to Alex Fowler. The University reserves the right to refuse materials.