Foundation Spring Registration
Important Links for Registration
- Student Services Policies
- Registration Policies + Instructions
- Timetable and Registration on insideEC
Missed the Foundation Forum on how to register? Here's what was covered:
Are you new to Foundation for the spring semester? Here's how to register:
- Academic Advising
- Foundation Year Requirements
- Academic Core: HUMN 101
- Course Splitting
- Attendance + Student Responsibility
- Registration Dates
- Adding Courses
- Dropping Courses
- Withdrawing from Courses
- Wait List Procedures
Questions about registration? Make an appointment with an Academic Advisor. The Advisors will be presenting a registration workshop at the November 9 Foundation Forum. Don't miss it!
The Foundation year consists of both core courses and electives for a total of 30 credits. For the Spring semester students register for 15 credits:
One of the following (choose one that you did NOT take in the Fall):
- FNDT 160 Core Media Studio I (6 credits)
- FNDT 161 Core Design Studio I (6 credits)
- FNDT 164 Core Visual Arts Studio I (6 credits)
Foundation Studio Electives can be found by searching on insideEC for the subject "Foundation Studio Courses". All electives are 3 credits. All Foundation students are limited to one studio elective.
- FNDT 112 Drawing and 2D Language
- FNDT 126 Sculpture II
- FNDT 127 Ceramics
- FNDT 134 Directed Projects
- FNDT 141 Aboriginal Material Practice
- FNDT 142 Animation
- FNDT 144 Designing with Space
- FNDT 145 Desiging with Image and Time
- FNDT 146 Introductory Photography
- FNDT 150 Painting: Colour and Materials
- FNDT 151 Introduction to Print Media
- FNDT 152 Video Essentials
When planning your course schedule, keep in mind that three credit courses have 3 hours per week of instruction and six credit courses have 6 hours per week of instruction.
Foundation students who are registered for an Intensive Academic Core and ENGL-098 in the fall semester are required to register for an Intensive Academic Core and ENGL-099 in the spring semester.
- Sections S001 to S008 are Intensive
- Sections S009 to S019 are Non-Intensive
Students who are registering for the Intensive HUMN-101 will also register for the linked ENGL-099 course.The section number for HUMN-101 corresponds to the linked section of ENGL-099.
- Take HUMN-101-S001 and ENGL-099-S001
- Take HUMN-101-S002 and ENGL-099-S002
- Take HUMN-101-S003 and ENGL-099-S003
The following documents have the schedules for each section of HUMN-101. You can use these to help you put together your course schedule for the Spring semester. These are current as of October 6, 2015. If there is a difference between these and insideEC, insideEC is correct.
- Academic Core Intensive Sections [PDF] updated Oct 06/15
- Academic Core Non-Intensive Sections [PDF] updated Jan 07/16
As the Foundation registration is split over two days, all Foundation courses will have half their spaces held back on the first day so that students registering on the second day have an equal chance to register in their preferred sections. This means that there will be no wait listing of Foundation courses until November 30, 2015.
You are reminded that attendance is mandatory and unexcused absences may affect your grade. You will not be dropped from a course for non-attendance. If you do not properly drop or withdraw within published deadlines you will have an "F" grade recorded on your transcript and you will be responsible for all tuition fees.
Please be courteous and inform your instructors ahead of time if you have to miss a class. Faculty email addresses can be found through the Employee Directory.
Registration will take place online. Web registration is open from 7:00AM to Midnight, Pacific Daylight Time. Remember, insideEC does NOT work with Google Chrome.
|November 26||Foundation Students:
Last names beginning A-L
|November 27||Foundation Students:
Last names beginning M-Z
|November 30||Registration rules lifted. Foundation wait lists open.|
|January 4||University re-opens|
|January 6||Spring semester begins|
|January 15||Last day to add courses. Last day to drop courses without financial penalty.|
Tuition Fee Deadline. Payment must be received by this deadline.
You can add courses to your schedule through insideEC from your registration release date until the end of the add period: 11:59PM Friday, January 15, 2016. Only you can add courses to your schedule.
If you are wait listed for a course, you can only add that course by receiving a wait list space available email (to your Emily Carr webmail) also known as a Permission to Register notification, then adding the course to your schedule on insideEC through the Manage My Waitlist page. Your instructor cannot add you to their course roster. Only you can add courses to your schedule.
You can drop courses from your schedule through insideEC from your registration date until the end of the drop period: 11:59PM Friday, January 15, 2016. Only you can drop courses from your schedule. Instructors cannot drop you from their course for non-attendance.
After the drop period ends, any request to drop a course is considered a withdrawal and there will be NO REFUND issued. Withdrawal requests cannot be completed on insideEC. To withdraw from a class you must submit a written withdrawal request form to Student Services. If you decide you want to drop ALL your courses, please check out the information on withdrawing, listed below.
Withdrawal requests cannot be submitted online through insideEC. A withdrawal request form must be completed and submitted to Student Services no later than 4:30PM on the published deadline. Forms can be found on the website here or in Student Services.
There are two kinds of withdrawals.
1) Withdrawing from one or more courses but remaining registered in the semester.
Spring 2016: the drop period ends on January 15, 2016. A request to drop a course(s) after this date is handled as a withdrawal. A “W” grade is recorded on your transcript and you are not eligible for a refund. The “W” grade does not affect your GPA. The deadline to submit a withdrawal form to Student Services is 4:30PM, Tuesday, March 1, 2016. Requests received after this deadline will result in a grade of “F” being assigned.
2) Withdrawing from all your courses and leaving the university (for a leave of absence or to end your program).
After you have registered, a request to drop from ALL courses is considered a withdrawal. If you plan on returning to your studies in a subsequent semester you are required to submit a leave of absence request form. A leave may be granted for up to one year in which a student is guaranteed a space in his/her program upon return. Leave of absence request forms are available on the website here or in Student Services.
Students who are away for more than one year are required to reapply for admission with a portfolio.
Semester begins January 6, drop period ends January 15.
- If you decide to withdraw from all courses prior to the start of the semester there will be no record of the courses on your transcript and you will be responsible for 25% of the tuition of one (1) of your courses.
- If you decide to withdraw from all courses after the semester begins but before the end of the drop period, you will be responsible for 25% of the tuition of one (1) of your courses. A “W” grade will be recorded on your transcript for this course. The “W” grade does not affect your GPA.
- If you decide to withdraw from all courses after the drop period, a “W” grade will be recorded on your transcript for each course and you will not be eligible for a refund. The “W” grade does not affect your GPA. The deadline to submit a withdrawal form to Student Services is 4:30PM, Tuesday, March 1, 2016. Requests received after this deadline will result in a grade of “F” being assigned.
- If you fail to pay your tuition fees by the January 22, 2016 deadline, it will be treated as a withdrawal. You will be removed from your courses, a “W” grade will be recorded and you will be responsible for full tuition fees.
Faculty reserve the right to remove students from the wait list who do not attend the first class.
Faculty are not able to register you into their course from the wait list. You can only register into a wait listed course through insideEC if you have been given permission to register through the automatic wait list procedure.
To wait list a course is to start or add yourself to a queue for the course. If the course status reads “Closed” you can start the queue by wait listing the course. If the course status reads “Waitlisted” then a wait list has already been started and you can add yourself to the queue.
If a registered person drops the class the first person on the wait list gets notified via their Emily Carr email that they have “Permission to Register”. This permission is valid for a limited time. If you do not register before the time limit expires, your name will be removed from the list and the space will be given to the next student.
You have one (1) working day to register for a course after receiving your email notification.
- You may not waitlist for more than one section of the same course.
- Please give other students an opportunity to register by removing yourself from any wait list(s) that you are no longer interested in.
- It is your responsibility to check your email and/or the insideEC website regularly to see your waitlist status.
Please note that Foundation courses will not be available to wait list until November 30, 2015.